About Mindful SELF
Mindful SELF is a 6- lesson program that teaches youth mindfulness and social & emotional concepts. Cultivating mindfulness and developing social and emotional learning skills helps individuals of all ages cope with stress and live life more fully. The goals of Mindful SELF are:
- Learn about holistic wellness through the 8 dimensions of the Wellness Wheel
- Learn and practice mindfulness and how to cultivate it into daily life
- Gain social and emotional skills to benefit themselves and those around them
- Practice self-care activities, including mindfulness breathing and mindful movement exercises
Each of the 6 lessons is designed to last 30-40 minutes. Lessons are structured in the following format: 1) Key background information and definitions, 2) Instructional discussion guide, 3) An interactive activity, and 4) A lesson closure. Optional “Take it further” activities are also included in each lesson, which consist of weekly affirmations, self-care exercises, videos for short, guided meditations, and journal prompts. The optional components may be taught in addition to the core curriculum if time allows or can be done at home with parents.
The program is delivered by Extension agents or trained teachers/school staff.
- 6 lessons with optional activities
To host a program, schools will need to provide the following:
- Space for lessons and mindful movement exercises
Alignment with TEKS
A full summary for the TEKS by lesson is included in the curriculum. Below, the TEKS are highlighted for each grade level.
- 6th Grade: Link to 6th Grade TEKS
- 7th Grade: Link to 7th Grade TEKS
- 8th Grade: Link to 8th Grade TEKS
Interested educators should connect with their county AgriLife Extension office for more information. Find their contact information here: https://counties.agrilife.org/
Evidence for Mindful SELF includes:
- Mindful SELF integrates mindfulness with social and emotional learning concepts from the Collaborative for Academic Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL) framework. The CASEL framework encompasses five key dimensions: Self-Awareness, Self-Management, Responsible Decision Making, Relationship Skills, and Social Awareness.
- The program includes a pre- and post-evaluation that uses validated measures and some open-ended questions to measure program impacts.