About Balancing Food & Play
Balancing Food & Play is a 4-week classroom program that encourages healthy eating and physical activity. The program targets four health goals:
- At least 60 minutes of daily active play
- Two hours or less of screen time each day
- Eat more fruits and vegetables each day
- Drink milk with meals and water with snacks
This is a 20-lesson curriculum extension that coordinates with Texas TEKS for 3rd – 5th grade students. The lessons include pre-recorded videos from Texas A&M Extension, student journals, and problem solving activities. There are also take-home newsletters and recipe cards to connect parents/guardians with the lessons.
This program can be delivered by teachers or Extension agents. Local extension agents can train teachers and loan out the program material kit.
- 20 lesson plans with classroom PowerPoints (45 to 60 minute lessons)
- Student journals
- 4 take-home newsletters and recipe cards
To host a program, schools will need:
- Presentation display (Projector, SmartBoard, TV, etc.)
Alignment with TEKS
A full summary of the TEKS by lesson is included in the curriculum. Below, the TEKS are highlighted for each grade level.
Interested educators should connect with their local 4-H or Family & Community Health Extension Agent for more information. Find their contact information here: https://counties.agrilife.org/
Find the full program website here: https://balance.tamu.edu/