About 4-H Food & Nutrition Programs
The 4-H Food & Nutrition Program includes a variety of activities that students can participate in. Activities include workshops, tours, healthy cooking classes, and more! Youth can participate in contests such as the Food Challenge, Family & Community Health (FCH) Quiz Bowl, and Food Show. Through these activities, students will learn about topics such as:
- Healthy Food Preparation
- Food Safety
- Kitchen and Cooking Safety
- Budgeting and Meal Planning
- Communication Skills
The Texas 4-H Food and Nutrition program offers a wide variety of hands-on, experiential learning experiences which can be adapted to fit an audience’s needs. These components apply the “Learning by Doing” approach which includes the Do, Reflect, Apply concept.
- Popular components include the 4-H Food and Nutrition Explore Guides series, each of which include 6 lessons designed to be delivered in 20-30 minutes: Cooking in the Kitchen, Dollars and Sense: Food Budgeting, Kitchen Safety, and Keeping Food Safe.
- Other components may be available upon request and vary from county to county.
To host a project, schools will need:
- Space for activities
- Various supplies for activities
Alignment with TEKS
Below, the TEKS are highlighted by grade level.
Kindergarten: Link to Kindergarten TEKS
1st Grade: Link to 1st Grade TEKS
2nd Grade: Link to 2nd Grade TEKS
3rd Grade: Link to 3rd Grade TEKS
4th Grade: Link to 4th Grade TEKS
5th Grade: Link to 5th Grade TEKS
6th Grade: Link to 6th Grade TEKS
7th Grade: Link to 7th Grade TEKS
8th Grade: Link to 8th Grade TEKS
9th Grade: Link to 9th Grade TEKS
10th Grade: Link to 10th Grade TEKS
11th Grade: Link to 11th Grade TEKS
12th Grade: Link to 12th Grade TEKS
Interested educators should connect with their county AgriLife Extension office for more information. Find their contact information here: https://counties.agrilife.org/
For more information, check out the 4-H Food & Nutrition Programs website here: https://texas4-h.tamu.edu/projects/food-nutrition/