About Choose Healthy
Choose Healthy is a 4-week program to help young teenagers understand the basics of healthy eating and wellness. The goals of Choose Healthy are:
- Increase intake of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products
- Reduce intake of oversized portions and sugary drinks
- Increase awareness of nutrient content in foods
- Increase time spent being physically active
Each of the 4 sessions is designed to last 45-60 minutes. Each session can be customized to best fit the needs of the groups. The curriculum follows the 4-As structure – anchor, add, apply, and away – to discuss MyPlate, energy balance, making healthy food choices, and healthy hydration. There are also recipes that go with each session.
The program is delivered by Extension agents.
- 4 lessons with options for activities and recipes
- Student booklets
To host a program with food demonstrations, schools will need to provide the following:
- Plates, bowls
- Plastic forks/spoons
- Ziploc bags or plastic containers
- Posters (sugar shockers) and food models (optional)
Alignment with TEKS
A full summary of the TEKS by lesson is included in the curriculum. Below, the TEKS are highlighted for each grade level.
6th Grade: Link to 6th Grade TEKS
7th Grade: Link to 7th Grade TEKS
8th Grade: Link to 8th Grade TEKS
Interested educators should connect with their county AgriLife Extension office for more information. Find their contact information here: https://counties.agrilife.org/